Eggplant Parmesan (version V)
1 dash olive oil, spray
1. Preheat broiler. Spray a baking sheet, a baking pan, and a sheet of aluminum foil large enough to cover the baking pan with olive oil spray.
1 each eggplant
1 teaspoon olive oil
8 ounces mushrooms, fresh, sliced
1 cup onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, medium-size, minced
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, salt-free
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 dash black pepper, to taste
8 ounces fresh tomato sauce, no salt added
4 ounces part-skim mozzarella, shredded
1 ounce parmesan cheese, shredded
2. Peel eggplant and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Put on baking sheet and broil 6 inches from heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove from broiler and set oven to 375 degrees F (180 degrees C).
3. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat, swirling to coat bottom. Add mushrooms, onions, garlic, herb seasoning, and salt. Cook, covered, for 7 to 9 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to high and cook, uncovered, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until pan juices have evaporated, stirring frequently.
4. Spread half of the mushroom mixture in baking pan. Cover with half of eggplant slices. Sprinkle with pepper. Top with half of the tomato sauce and half the mozzarella. Repeat layers except cheese. Cover with prepared foil.
5. Bake for 1 hour. Top with remaining mozzarella and all the Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, for 5 to 8 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe
Alternate Versions of This Recipe: