Eggplant and Tomato Galette
17-1/4 ounces frozen puff pastry
1. Place a sheet of pastry on floured work surface and roll into a 14-inch square. Transfer to a large unrimmed baking sheet. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, brush a 1-inch border along all sides of the square. Roll the edges of pastry in 1-inch and pinch to form a standing rim about 1/2-inch high. At each of the corners there will be a little excess dough; press into a ball shape. Use the back of a knife to make a pattern in the rim. Repeat with 2nd sheet. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes. Can be prepared up to a day ahead. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
5 plum tomatoes
15 ounces ricotta cheese
2 teaspoons garlic
6 tablespoons basil
2 teaspoons rosemary
1 tablespoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
12 ounces mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
2. Place eggplant slices on a baking sheet and sprinkle generously with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes. Place in a colander and rinse under cold running water . Drain and pat dry. Place the tomato slices on paper towels to drain.
3. Mix together the ricotta, garlic, herbs, red pepper flakes, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to taste. Spread half the cheese mixture on each shell. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. Can be prepared 4 to 5 hours ahead to this point. Cover and refrigerate.
4. 425 oven. Arrange slightly overlapping slices of eggplant on each puff pastry square and then top with slightly overlapping tomato slices. Drizzle about 1-2 tablespoons olive oil over each galette and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
5. Bake lower part of oven until crust is a rich dark golden brown and vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack for 2-3 minutes. Garnish. Cut each into 16 squares. Serve warm.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe