Mediterranean Vegetable Strata
2 large onions, peeled and sliced
1. In a large skillet, cook the onions in the olive oil over medium-high heat until the onions are well browned.
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 ounces tomato paste
2 teaspoons turmeric
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt, to taste
pinch of dried or candied lemon peel
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into thin slices
2 green bell peppers, halved, cored, seeded and sliced
2 roasted, marinated red bell peppers
3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
1/4 cup red flame raisins
macadamia nuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
sprinkling of pepper
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2. Add the tomato paste, turmeric, salt, pepper and lemon peel. Cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Choose a large skillet that has a tightly fitting lid. Layer the vegetables, potatoes first, then peppers, carrots, raisins and eggplant. Dot the tomato paste mixture over each layer of vegetables, along with a sprinkling of salt and parsley over each layer of vegetables.
4. Add the pepper and lemon juice to the broth. Pour the broth over the layered vegetables.
5. Cover the skillet and cook on the stovetop over medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes until the liquid begins to boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for about 30-40 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
Makes 8 servings
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe