Directions for Dough
2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 package quick-rising yeast (3 1/2 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 1/4 cups very hot water
1 eggplant (1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 onions, diced
1 large summer squash, sliced
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
3 tablespoons black olive paste or 1/4 cup sliced black olives
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
10 ounces fresh spinach, stemmed and washed
3 ounces sliced mozzarella
14 ounces roasted red peppers (jars or home-roasted)
1 can 14-ounce artichoke hearts
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, holding out 1 cup of flour. Stir to blend. Add hot water, and mix. Add the remaining flour a bit at a time unitl the dough is firm enough to knead. Turn the dough out onto a floured cutting board and kneed for 10 minutes or so.Cover with a damp towel and set in a warm place.
Directions for Filling
1. Spread a little olive oil on the bottom of a large roast plan. Place cut eggplant, onions and squash on the pan and bake in a preheated 400 F oven for 15 minutes, or until soft.
2. Place sun-dried tomatoes in a pan and cover with water. Simmer over medium heat until soft. Drain; puree in a food processor until smooth. Turn out into a bowl, add the black olive paste, and blend.
3. Saute garlic in oil for about 15 seconds. Add spinach, and stir until wilted. Let cool.
4. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a rectangle about 14 inches wide by 20 inches long. Spread with the tomato-olive puree, followed by roasted eggplant, mozzarella, roasted vegetables, spinach, and artichoke hearts. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
5. Roll up. Place on a prepared baking sheet. Bake until brown, about 30 minutes. Place on a wire rack and cool.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe