5 tablespoons extra virgin olive ol
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Lightly oil two rimmed baking sheets.
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large or 2 small eggplants (about 2 pounds), peeled and sliced into 3/8-inch-thick rounds
1 medium-size red bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
12 small flour tortillas
4 cups shredded lettuce
2 medium-size to large ripe tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and sliced
sour cream or grated Monterey Jack cheese
Homemade or store-bought salsa
2. In a small bowl, combine the oil, cumin, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with the flavored oil and arrange in a single layer on the baking sheets. Scatter the bell pepper and onion on top.
3. Place the baking sheets side by side in the oven. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until the eggplant is well browned and very tender, turning once. (If the baking sheets do not fit side by side, place one on the middle rack and the other on the bottom rack and rotate them once or twice during the roasting process.) Remove from the oven and turn off the heat.
4. Wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil and place them in the warm oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
5. To serve, arrange the eggplant on one serving platter. Place the lettuce in the center of another serving platter. Surround the lettuce with the tomato wedges and avocado slices. Pass the platters, warmed tortillas, sour cream, and salsa at the talbe and let the diners assemble their own fajitas.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe