Mediterranean Eggplant Casserole
2 teaspoons olive oil
1. Prepare a cookie sheet with fat free cooking spray and set aside.
1 onion, halved and sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon oregano, dried
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh basil, sliced
1 cup dry bread crumbs, seasoned
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
3 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 large or 2 1/2 pounds eggplant, peeled and cut crosswise into 3/8" thick slices
2. Mix bread crumbs with 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Beat egg whites with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
3. Dip eggplant slices in egg whites, coat with seasoned bread crumbs.
4. Place eggplant slices on prepared cookie sheet. You will have 2 different batches. Spray eggplant slices with cooking spray. Set aside.
5. In a nonstick skillet heat oil over medium heat, add onion and garlic. Cook until softened. Add oregano, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook for one minute. Add tomatoes, increase heat to high and cook until thickened, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and add basil.
6. Broil eggplant slices, 1 batch at a time for 3-5 minutes per side, until brown.
7. Preheat oven to 425 F. Layer eggplant slices in a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Top with tomato mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and remaining Parmesan cheese.
8. Bake uncovered until cheese is bubbly, 10-15 minutes.
I skipped the egg whites, and just used the whole egg, it didn't make much difference and saved me the pain of separating the whites. I wish there had been a bit more sauce, but other than that it was good.
Anonymous, Location not stated.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe