1 teaspoon olive oil
1/3 cup finely chopped onions
1/3 cup finely chopped green or red bell peppers
1/3 cup finely chopped zucchini
1/3 cup finely chopped celery
1/3 cup peeled and finely chopped eggplant
1/3 cup chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon chopped, fresh basil (dried is fine)
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/3 teaspoon sugar
1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers. Cook for 2 minutes.
2. Add the zucchini, celery and eggplant. Cook 2 minutes more.
3. Add the tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer about 20 minutes, uncovered. Let cool.
4. Add the vinegar and sugar. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve cold as a dip with pita bread, crackers or tortilla chips.