1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and honey in 1/4 cup of the warm water.
1 package active dry or fresh yeast
1 teaspoon honey or sugar
3/4 cup warm water, (105 to 115)
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
2 cups grated fontina cheese
2 cups sliced fresh artichoke hearts, cooked (about 1/2 pound)
2 cups sliced eggplant, grilled or sautéed. (about 5 ounces)
4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
2. In a mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the flour and salt. Pour in 2 tablespoons of the oil and when absorbed, scrape in the dissolved yeast. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of water and knead on low speed about 5 minutes.
3. Turn out onto a board and knead 2 or 3 minutes longer. Dough should be smooth and firm. Let rise in a warm spot, covered with a damp towel, about 30 minutes. (Dough will stretch when lightly pulled.)
4. Divide the dough into 4 balls, about 6 ounces each. Work each ball by pulling down the sides and tucking under the bottom of the ball. Repeat 4 or 5 times. Then on a smooth un-floured surface, roll the ball under the palm of your hand until the dough is smooth and firm, about 1 minute. Cover with a damp towel and let rest 15 to 20 minutes. At this point, the balls can be loosely covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated for 1 to 2 days.
5. Preheat the oven to 525 degrees. Place a pizza stone in the oven.
6. To prepare each pizza, place a ball of dough on a lightly floured surface. Press down on the center, spreading the dough, or roll into a 7 or 8 inch circle, with the outer border a little thicker than the inner circle. Brush lightly with oil and arrange the topping of your choice only over the inner circle.
7. Arrange the pizza on a baking stone and bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pizzas are nicely browned. transfer to a firm surface and cut into slices with a pizza cutter.
Topping for a Vegetarian Pizza:
1. Sauté the eggplant and mushrooms separately, each in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Use more oil if necessary.
2. Arrange ingredients on the pizza dough in the order listed above.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe