Vegetable-Topped Baked Grits
3-1/3 cups water
1. In medium saucepan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Slowly stir in grits and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, stirring until grits are thick and creamy, about 10 minutes. Spoon into 9-inch square baking dish and set aside.
2/3 cup grits
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large red onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 small unpeeled eggplant (8 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
2. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, about 7 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F.
4. Add bell pepper to skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until almost tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in eggplant, toss to coat and add remaining 1/3 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is tender, about 7 minutes.
5. Stir in zucchini, mixing well, and add tomato sauce, vinegar, black pepper and dill. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is lightly thickened and zucchini is tender, about 5 minutes.
6. Spoon sauce over grits, cover with foil and bake until grits are piping hot, about 10 minutes.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe