1 large eggplant
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
4 cups spaghetti sauce
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
8 medium mushrooms, chopped
1/2 pound lasagna noodles
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon dill pickles, finely chopped
2. Cut eggplant into slices approximately 3/8-inch thick.
3. Heat water in bottom of large steamer and add salt. When it reaches the boil add the lasagna noodles one at a time so the water stays on the boil.
4. Place steamer tray over pot and place the sliced eggplant into it.
5. Cover and steam until noodles are al dente. Lift the noodles out into a strainer and place under cold running water for a minute so they won't stick together. Drain.
6. Replace eggplant over boiling water, cover and cook an additional 5 minutes or until tender.
7. Put spaghetti sauce into a microwave-safe dish and heat about 4 minutes on high.
8. Mix together the chopped fresh vegetables and dill pickles in a bowl.
9. Spray a large shallow baking dish with vegetable spray.
10. Place a layer of noodles in dish. Cover with a layer of steamed eggplant slices. Cover with half of the spaghetti sauce. Distribute half the fresh vegetables over the sauce and sprinkle with half the parmesan cheese. Add another layer of noodles (use them all up), eggplant slices, spaghetti sauce, fresh vegetables and the rest of the parmesan cheese. Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the top.
11. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
Divide into 8 portions and serve.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe
Alternate Versions of This Recipe: