Vegetable and Tofu Shish-ke-bobs
1 pound extra firm tofu (cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes)
1) Place chopped vegetables in a large fairly flat-bottomed container (a casserole dish is fine) and place the tofu on top. Add the marinade so that everything is covered and set in the refrigerator for several hours -overnight is fine, too.
12 pearl onions
2 medium carrots (cut into 1-inch chunks)
1/2 head of cauliflower (cut into chunks)
1 medium eggplant or 2 medium zucchini (cut into chunks)
2 cups dry brown rice, cooked
2 cups tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Mexican seasoning
2 tablespoons almond butter
1 tablespoon wet mustard
2 tablespoons honey
1 cup water
1 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce)
3 cloves crushed garlic
2) If you want to do this right, get your barbecue grill out. But if it's raining outside, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3) Skewer the vegetables and tofu so that each vegetable is fairly represented. Place the finished skewers on an oiled cookie sheet and put in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
4) Put the leftover marinade in a small pan and set aside to heat just a few minutes before heating. It makes a wonderful sauce over the vegetables.
5) When the tofu is firm and the vegetables are cooked, you are ready to place your vegetable shish kebabs over a bed of rice and serve.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe