1 medium-size eggplant (1 1/2 pounds)
1. Wash and trim eggplant. Cut in half vertically, then into 1/2-inch
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 cups packaged bread crumbs
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/3 to 1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 medium-size tomatoes, sliced
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
slices. Spread slices in slightly overlapping rows on a board or large
platter. Sprinkle each row with salt before arranging the next row.
Prop up board at an angle to allow liquid to run off. Let stand 30
2. Rinse lightly; pat dry on paper toweling. Beat eggs in shallow dish;
combine crumbs and cheese on wax paper. Dip each slice into egg mixture,
then into crumb mixture. Reserve any remaining crumbs.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in large skillet; sauté slices a few at
a time; brown on both sides. Drain on paper toweling. Repeat, with more
oil as necessary.
4. Arrange in greased shallow ovenproof dish with a slice of tomato and
half a slice of cheese between eggplant slices. Sprinkle with Italian
seasoning, salt and pepper. If there are leftover crumbs, sprinkle over
5. Bake in a moderate oven (375 degrees) for 20 minutes.
Note: This dish freezes well.
Makes 6 servings
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe