Stuffed Eggplant Rolls (version II)
1 small eggplant (about 1 1/4 pounds)
1. Preheat broiler if manufacturer directs. Spray 1 large cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 8-ounce container part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 8-ounce package fat-free shredded mozzarella cheese (1 cup)
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 teaspoon salad oil
1 small onion, diced
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
2. Cut eggplant lengthwise into twelve 1/8-inch-thick slices. Arrange as many eggplant slices as possible in one layer on cookie sheet; broil eggplant about 6 minutes or until tender and lightly browned on both sides, turning once. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices. Turn oven control to 400 degrees F.
3. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix spinach, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
4. In nonstick 10-inch skillet over medium heat, in hot salad oil and 2 tablespoons water, cook onion until tender and lightly browned. Stir in tomato sauce, sugar, crushed red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 cup water; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Starting along narrow end of an eggplant slice, evenly spoon about 2 rounded tablespoons of cheese mixture in a 1/2-inch-wide strip; roll eggplant jelly- roll fashion. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices and cheese mixture.
6. Place eggplant rolls, seam-side down, in shallow 3-quart casserole or 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish. Top with tomato-sauce mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 15 minutes or until heated through.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe
Alternate Versions of This Recipe: