Stuffed Eggplant (version VI)
10 ounces fresh spinach, stems removed
1. Wash the spinach and place in a steamer. Cook for 15 minutes. Squeeze all of the water out of the spinach. Set aside.
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 eggplant, about 1 pound
1/2 pound lowfat mozzarella cheese
3 cups italian tomato sauce
1/4 teaspoon thyme
freshly ground black pepper
grated romano cheese
2. Cut the eggplant lengthwise to 1/4 inch thickness. Discard the first and last pieces. Spread a thin layer of olive oil on each side of the eggplant slices. Place the eggplant slices on a tray and broil until the eggplant softens and turns light brown on both sides. Remove and set aside.
3. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and sauté until transparent. Add the spinach, salt, freshly ground black pepper and garlic powder. Sauté and stir until all the water has evaporated. Set aside.
4. Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce to coat the bottom of a 9x9 baking dish. Coarsely grate the mozzarella cheese with a cheese grater. Set aside.
5. Place about a teaspoon or two of the spinach in the center of a slice of eggplant . Top with some mozzarella cheese. Roll the eggplant slice shut. Continue with the remainder of the eggplant slices. Place the rolled up eggplant in the baking dish. Spread the remainder of the tomato sauce over the eggplant. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and the Romano cheese.
6. Bake in a preheated 350º F oven for 15-20 minutes.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe
Alternate Versions of This Recipe: