Roasted Eggplant, Red Pepper and Tomato Sauce
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a baking sheet lined with parchment place eggplant, unpeeled onion and unpeeled garlic. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes, turning 1/4 turn every 10-15 minutes. When eggplant is soft put not falling apart remove. When onion and garlic are soft and skins are browned remove.
1/2 head garlic (yes half a head, not half a clove)
1 cup tomato sauce
3 red bell peppers
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 tablespoons capers, chopped
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 pinch sugar to taste
salt to taste
2) Raise heat to 450, place red pepper in the oven. Roast 30 to 40 minutes, turning so all sides are brown. (Actually you could probably put all the veggies in at 350 and roast the peppers longer, but this is how it says to roast things in the book.)
3) While this is going on and after the eggplant is cooled, peel it (peel pulls right off), chop innards finely and place in a colander to drain juices.
4) In Food processor, place tomatoes or tomato sauce, peeled and roughly chopped onion, peeled garlic (the innards just squeeze right out of the cloves). Pulse to chop finely but don't make soup.
5) By this time the red peppers are roasted (skins are toasted but not black). Remove and place them in a plastic bowl or bag, seal for 15 minutes, skins are then easily removed. Deseed them, chop roughly, add to food processor and pulse to chop. (Don't puree --- just chop).
6) Add rest of stuff (capers, vinegar, sugar, salt) to food processor, mix, then transfer tomato sauce and drained eggplant to a saucepan to heat up.
7) Serve on pasta! Makes a generous amount.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe