Roasted Eggplant Couscous Salad
1) Preheat oven to 375F.
1 pound eggplant, one small
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 cup chopped green chiles, canned
1 pinch ground cumin
1 pinch paprika
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, undiluted
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
1-1/2 cups water
3/4 cup dried couscous
3 cups baby lettuce leaves or mixed spring greens
6 tablespoons fresh orange juice
6 tablespoons cooked kidney beans, well rinsed
6 tablespoons cooked garbanzo beans, well rinsed
2) Spray a baking sheet lightly with nonstick vegetable cooking spray. Place the eggplant on the baking sheet and roast for about 1 hour,, or until it is very soft. Halfway through the baking time place the garlic on the baking sheet with the eggplant. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let cool until the eggplant can be safely handled.
3) Peel the eggplant and cut it into thin strips. Mince the garlic.
4) Combine the eggplant and garlic with the remaining ingredients for the eggplant salad.
5) Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the couscous, mix well, cover, and remove from the heat. Let soak for at least 5 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
6) To serve: place 1/2 cup of the greens on each of 6 plates. Drizzle the greens with 1 tablespoon of orange juice.
7) Spray the inside of a small, 3-inch bowl or ramekin with vegetable oil. Pack 1/4 cup of the eggplant strips into the bowl. Top with 1/4 cup couscous, pressing down firmly. Invert the bowl on the greens on each plate, then carefully remove the bowl.
8) Sprinkle the greens on each plate with 1 tablespoons each of kidney and garbanzo beans.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe