Pasta with Roasted Vegetables and Saffron Cream
4 tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2 red or yellow bell peppers, seeded and cut in 1/2-in. pieces (about 1-1/2 cups)
1 small eggplant, cut in 1/2-in. pieces (about 4-1/2 cups)
3 medium zucchini, quartered, then sliced in 1/2-in. pieces (about 5-1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 shallots, minced (1/2 cup)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 pinch ground saffron or 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
1 pound dried imported pasta shells
1/4 cup chopped italian parsley
2. In large mixing bowl, combine 2 tablespoons oil, peppers, eggplant, zucchini, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Spread on baking sheet in one layer and roast 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender and browned.
3. Place remaining oil, shallot, and garlic in medium saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until shallots are soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup wine and simmer 2 minutes. Add cream, remaining 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper, tomato paste, and saffron and simmer until thick, about 3 minutes longer, stirring continuously.
4. Bring large pot of water to boil, add salt to taste and shells. Cook al dente according to package directions, stirring frequently.
5. Drain pasta, place in warm pasta bowl, and toss with vegetables, cream, and parsley.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe