Mediterranean-Style Stuffed Eggplant
1 large eggplant
1. Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup chopped white onion
1 clove garlic minced
2 tablespoons butter or margarine at room temperature
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 24-ounce can tomatoes drained and diced, juice reserved
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup cottage cheese
swiss cheese strips for garnish
2. Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and scoop out the pulp to leave a 1/2-inch-thick shell. Chop the pulp into 1/2-inch cubes.
3. In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the eggplant pulp, onion, and garlic for about 5 minutes until tender.
4. In a small saucepan, combine the butter and flour and stir until blended. Cook over medium heat until heated through and smooth.
5. Combine the reserved tomato juice with enough water to fill the 24-ounce can and slowly add this to the flour mixture, stirring until the liquid is absorbed and the sauce thickens. Add to the eggplant mixture. Add the tomatoes, oregano, marjoram, and pepper and stir well. Spoon into the eggplant shells and dot with dollops of cottage cheese. Put the shells on a baking sheet and cover with tented aluminum foil.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the shells are tender.
Serve immediately garnished with cheese strips.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe