Meatless Moussaka (version II)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat broiler.
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium eggplants (about 12 ounces each), peeled and cut into 1/2"-thick slices
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, chopped with their juice
1-1/2 cups peeled butternut squash chunks (1/2")
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch squares
3/4 teaspoon cumin
3/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 cup finely chopped apricots
2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 ounces soft goat cheese or farmer cheese, crumbled
2. Meanwhile, in small skillet or saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar and sugar to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until vinegar is reduced by half and is thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. In small bowl, stir together olive oil and 1/3 cup water. Brush eggplant with oil mixture, place on a broiler pan and broil 6" from heat for 12 minutes, or until soft, turning eggplant over halfway through. Brush cooked eggplant with reduced vinegar and set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 6- to 8-cup casserole with nonstick cooking spray.
5. Meanwhile, in large skillet, combine stewed tomatoes, squash, bell pepper, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, ginger and allspice. Cover and cook over medium heat until squash and bell pepper have softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in apricots and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Line prepared baking dish with eggplant slices. Spoon in vegetable mixture.
7. In small bowl, beat egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form. Beat in crumbled goat cheese. Spoon on top of vegetable mixture and bake 15 minutes, or until topping is puffy and golden.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe
Alternate Versions of This Recipe: