Mallorcan Potato and Vegetable Casserole
1 1/4 pound eggplant, in 1/4-inch crosswise slices
1. Sprinkle the eggplant slices on both sides with salt and place in a colander to drain for 1 hour. Dry between paper towels. Arrange the slices on a cookie tray, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake at 400F about 10 minutes, turning once.
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
freshly cracked black pepper
2 green bell peppers
1 red bell pepper
1/2 pound zucchini, in 1/4-inch crosswise slices
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 cup canned stewed tomatoes, finely chopped
2 tablespoon parsley, minced
2 potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/8-inch slices
2. Place the green and red peppers in a roasting pan and bake at 5000F (2600C) for about 20 minutes, turning once. Cool, core, seed, and cut in 1/2-inch strips.
3. In a skillet, heat 1/2 the oil and sauté, the zucchini a minute, then add the peppers, salt, black pepper, and 1/4 of the minced garlic, and sauté, another minute. Remove to a warm platter.
4. Heat the remaining oil, sauté, the remaining garlic a few seconds, than add the paprika, tomatoes, and 1/2 the parsley. Simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Grease a microwave-safe dish and arrange the potato slices in layers (you can save on clean-up if the shallow casserole in which the vegetables will later bake - preferably oval, about 13 by 7 inches - can double as the one in which the potatoes will cook).
6. Drizzle each layer with olive oil and season with salt. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons** water over the potatoes, cover and microwave on high 8 minutes. Turn the potatoes, cover, and continue cooking in the microwave another 8 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Alternately, the sliced potatoes can be drizzled with oil (eliminate the water) and cooked in a greased roasting pan, tightly covered with foil, in a 350F oven for about 1 hour, or until tender.
7. Arrange the zucchini and peppers over the potatoes in a shallow casserole, then cover with the eggplant slices. Pour on the tomato sauce and bake at 400F about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley and serve.
Is it really 5000 degrees F in step 2???
Anonymous, Location not stated.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe