Lusty Eggplant Relish
3 pounds eggplant
1. Peel the eggplant and cut into 1/8 inch julienne strips about 2 inches long.
2 tablespoons salt
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon capers, drained
1/2 tablespoon dried hot red pepper flakes
3 cups white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2. Place the eggplant in a colander, add the salt and toss well.
3. Cover the colander, place over a large bowl, and let stand 1 hour.
4. Combine the oil, onion, pepper and garlic in a large, heavy, nonreactive dutch oven or deep skillet, place over medium heat, and sauté the mixture for 5 minutes.
5. Add the eggplant and sauté until golden on all sides, about 5 minutes.
6. Stir in the oregano, capers and hot pepper flakes.
7. Remove the pan from the heat and divide the eggplant mixture among 6 sterilized half-pint jars.
8. Return the dutch oven to the stove and add the vinegar and sugar.
9. Turn the heat up to high and bring the mixture to a boil. 11. Remove the pan from the heat and spoon the liquid mixture equally into the 6 eggplant jars, leaving a 1/4 inch head space in each jar. 12. Seal the jars and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. 13. Let cool and store in a cool, dark place for 2 to 3 weeks before using
What is step 10? ;o)
Tracy, Brisbane Australia
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe