Heart's Delight Grilled Pizzas
mesquite chips and charcoal
1. Soak a handful of mesquite chips in water . Prepare coals and let them develop an even gray ash, approximately 30 minutes, adding mesquite during final 5 minutes. Set grill no more than 5 to 6 inches above coals.
1 cup lukewarm water
1 package rapid-rising yeast
2-1/4 to 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
cornmeal for dusting baking pans
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 japanese eggplants, halved lengthwise and sliced into diagonal rounds
2 medium red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
2 small rutabagas, peeled, thinly sliced and steamed 5 minutes
6 to 8 ripe plum tomatoes, halved
1 red and green bell peppers sliced into thin rounds
4 large garlic cloves salt and pepper to taste
fresh parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
1/4 cup cilantro, sage or parsley leaves, minced, to garnish
2. Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, combine water, yeast and 1 cup flour. Add salt and remaining flour, stirring until dough will not absorb any more water and becomes too stiff to stir. Knead dough on a floured board for 10 minutes, adding more flour as needed to prevent dough from sticking to your hands. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
3. While dough is rising, brush a tiny bit of oil over sliced vegetables. To grill vegetables: arrange on an oiled grill and cook, turning once, until crisp on the outside and fork-tender inside, about 10 to 15 minutes. Don't turn too soon or they will stick to grill. When tender and sufficiently brown, remove from grill and allow to cool. To oven roast vegetables: spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in a 450¡ oven, turning once, 7 to 10 minutes, or until fork-tender, and let cool. Vegetables can then be wrapped and stored in refrigerator.
4. Punch down dough and allow to rise again, about 1/2 hour. Use at once or reserve in refrigerator, well-wrapped for up to 3 days. Roll dough on board dusted with cornmeal and place in two 9-inch round pans or one12-inch pizza pan sprinkled with cornmeal. Crimp outer edges to rim of pans, about 1/2-inch high.
5. Preheat oven to 500. Mash tomatoes with a fork. Squeeze garlic cloves from their skins and discard skins. Spread tomatoes and squeezed garlic evenly over dough. Cover with an assortment of vegetables and herbs and bake 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake another 5 minutes. Remove pies from oven.
6. As they cool, sprinkle each with minced herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cut each pie into 12 squares or wedges.
Makes about 24 pieces.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe