Grilled Eggplant Roll-Ups Stuffed with Goat Cheese
For the roll-ups:
1. Preheat the grill to medium and the oven to 350°F.
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups spinach leaves washed
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
8 slices eggplant, sliced lengthwise about 1/4-inch thick
1/4 cup goat cheese
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
8 strips roasted red bell peppers, cut 1/4-inch wide
For the sauce:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped shallots
1/4 cup fresh, chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2. Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a skillet. Add the spinach and a pinch each of salt and pepper and toss in the pan for about 1 minute. Remove from the pan and let cool.
3. Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, taking care not to overcook.
4. Mix the goat cheese and parsley together. Season with salt and pepper. Shape the cheese into 8 cork-sized pieces.
5. To assemble: On the top of each slice of eggplant, place a strip of pepper, a few leaves of spinach, and a "cork" of cheese. Begin with the wide end of the eggplant and roll toward the narrow end. Place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet, seam side down. (Steps 3 through 5 can be done ahead and kept in the refrigerator up to 2 days.)
6. Warm the roll-ups in the oven until thoroughly heated, about 8 to 10 minutes, longer if they have been refrigerated. While the roll-ups are warming, make the sauce.
For the sauce:
1. Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over low heat. Add the shallots and cook until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar. Add the tomatoes and toss for 1 minute. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat.
2. Place 2 roll-ups on each plate. Spoon sauce over the top and serve.
Click Here to Comment on This Recipe